Chief Operations Officer
who WE are
- We’re The SAFE Alliance, a merger of Austin Children’s Shelter and SafePlace.
- We’re a registered, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, spanning two beautiful campuses on several acres in beautiful Austin, Texas.
- We’re a diverse, passionate group of more than 335 staff with a vision of a just and safe community, free from violence and abuse, and a mission to lead in ending sexual assault and exploitation, child abuse and domestic violence through prevention, intervention, and advocacy for change.
- Our staff were named “Every Day Superheroes” by the Austin Chronicle, we’re a two-time Austin-American Statesman’s “Top Workplace” winner for years 2015 and 2016, and we were just named a "Best Nonprofit to Work for" by the Nonprofit Times.
who YOU are
- You’re a strong believer that all people should have lives that are free from violence and abuse.
- You’re someone who cares about positive client and customer relations. You build strong relationships, and you deliver effective client and customer-centric solutions.
- You’ve are impeccable decision maker. Your decisions are timely, and they’ll help the organization move forward.
- You value differences, recognizing that different perspectives and cultural diversity make the world a better place to be.
- Your interpersonal skills are on point. You easily relate openly and comfortably with very diverse groups of people.
- You’re resilient, rebounding from setbacks and adversity with both poise and ease.
- You’re resourceful. You know how to secure and deploy resources both effectively and efficiently.
- You’re trustworthy. You gain confidence and the trust of others through integrity and forthright honesty.
what WE need YOU to do for us
We need you to fill the role of Chief Operations Officer. This is a Full-time, Exempt position. You’ll wow us by masterfully performing the following key duties and responsibilities:
Under the general direction of the President, this position is responsible for the leadership, management and oversight of the daily running of The SAFE Alliance operations, this includes Facilities, Administration and Security, Information Technology, Food Service and Insurance. Position responsibilities including staff support, resource management, providing input on annual operations budget, strategy and planning for growth, and cultivating important relationships internal and external to SAFE.
- Responsible for the oversight of, and to direct and guide the work of facilities, IT, admin and security, food service and insurance to enable efficient, effective and supportive operations infrastructure. This includes the employment of resourcefulness in planning, budgeting, and management of inventory and budgets.
- Responsible for hiring, supervising, retention, training, engagement and release of the Operations Department staff. Drives Vision and Purpose through all hiring and supervision, continually reflecting on how operations can uniquely support the mission of ending violence and abuse. And, Drives engagement and creates a climate where the operations team members are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Ensures accountability through setting clear goals and objectives, measuring and reporting on progress, and positive supervision activities that provide direction and support to all operations staff to ensure the environment is adequate, safe, clean and supportive for clients and staff. And, by continually assessing operational needs and recommending strategic and system wide changes or growth as needed.
- Manages ambiguity and ensures cooperative relationship between program and operational teams to support accomplishment of mission.
- Exercises exceptional decision quality in evaluation of operational activities, planned growth, strategy and planning, risk management, tactical operations, collaborations and communication.
- · Is always customer-focused, responding quickly and with a positive, problem-solving attitude when providing support to staff. Utilizes outstanding interpersonal skills when communicating with staff, and when serving as an agency liaison with vendors, volunteers, donors or members of the community.
to be successful in this role, WE’LL need YOU to
- Master’s Degree in non-profit administration or allied field and 7 years of experience in senior leadership positions in non-profit organizations, OR Bachelor’s degree in non-profit administration and 12 years’ experience in senior leadership positions in non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated Project Management skills and ability to take responsibility for a diverse number of projects and complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing programs, operations, information technology, facilities, food service administration and security.
- Skills should include organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and tactical planning.
- Demonstrated success in developing and monitoring systems to manage both operational and programmatic work that involve high levels of collaboration.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well as submit to a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- Adhere to our Guiding Principles, Mission, Core Competencies and Confidentiality Policy.
how WE’LL make it worth YOUR while
- We will pay you an annual salary of $70,000 - $77,000.
- We’ll pay for your medical, life and short-term disability insurance.
- We will give you 15 accrued paid time off days in the first year, and 22 days in the second year, capping out at 30 days after year seven.
- We’ll pay you for our six agency holidays and four additional personal holidays to be used at your discretion.
- We’ll contribute 2% to your 403(b) retirement, and we’ll kick in an additional 1% if you agree to match it.
- We understand that you have commitments outside of the workplace, and we’ll do our very best to offer you some flexibility in your work schedule.
- We’ll offer you discounted day care for your kiddos at one of our two onsite day care centers, as enrollment allows.
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.